Kobo Deluxe adds sound, smoother animation, high resolution support, OpenGL acceleration (optional), an intuitive menu driven user interface, joystick support and other features. KoboDeluxe is an updated and enhanced version of the original arcade shooter.
Recent versions also add a number of alternative skill levels with slightly modernized gameplay. Kobo Deluxe uses SDL for graphics, sound and input, which makes it possible to build and run the game on pretty much anything.
- On Debian, try the command 'apt-get install kobodeluxe'
- On Gentoo, try the command 'emerge kobodeluxe'
Other platforms (Source code).If there are no binaries for your platform, you'll have to compile Kobo Deluxe from source. If this doesn't sound intimidating to you, grab one of the packages below. (You'll want the newest version, normally.) Then read on!
- Fast paced retro arcade style gameplay
- Smooth, high speed 8-way scrolling
- Very simple controls - the game is about speed and strategy
- 17 different enemies; fighter ships, kamikaze attackers, proxy bombs and more
- 50 maps, each with it's own feel and strategies to figure out
- Maps are built as you enter them - each game is unique!
- Structured audio technology - hi-fi sound in a tiny download
- OpenGL support for extremely fast and smooth animation
- High resolution support up to 2560x1600 - five types of scaling
- Supports any display color depth - dithering for 15 and 16 bpp
- Supports control by keyboard, mouse or joystick
- Runs on pretty much any hardware and operating system
- All code and data is Free/Open Source! (GPLed game logic; LGPLed engine code.)
If you liked this article, subscribe to the feed by clicking the image below to keep informed about new contents of the blog: